Monday, July 26, 2010

Cool Runnings! It's starting to really hit me I'm in South Africa..

The last couple days have been really cool. I’m starting to feel like I know this place a little better. We had orientation for my school and it was with all the international kids, which I thought would be more but actually there’s only about 20 of us. We started with a bunch of lectures about health (mostly HIV/AIDS) and safety on campus, and then went to a brie (pronounced like the beginning of BRIde) which is basically a social party/BBQ. This was so much fun, the diving club on campus threw the brie for us and they are sosooso nice, we had scuba lessons!! I went scuba diving in a pool!!! And it was really relaxed, they all were drinking which I thought was funny, it’s a school sponsored club. That night we went to a spot called “Cool Runnings” which is this Jamaican style restaurant/bar, and it is the coolest place I’ve been to yet. Thursday nights are the drum circle nights!!! This group of people just jam out with drums, and occasionally a couple people will get up to dance to the beat of the drums! It was absolutely crazy to watch them, so much talent. I played the drums in the drum circle!!!! It wasn’t even as scary as I thought, this guy got up from the circle and just handed me his drum (it was a little one) and I just tried to keep up with the beat! Pretty difficult, my hands were throbbing after. But worth it! This place was very different from the spots we’ve been going to. I feel very very very out of place everywhere I go, but this place was definitely the most noticeable. Race here is very interesting, a concept I’m still trying to figure out so I’ll explain better when I’m more familiar with it. But like I said in a previous blog South Africans are excellent at picking out where you’re from, so it was a little uncomfortable being 1 of 5 white girls in the bar. It was pretty cool because this wasn’t just a tourist attraction, it was a place where locals like to hang out. I did feel very out of place but it was nice to know that the people around were interested in where I’m from, not in a creepy way but in a genuine way.

The other night a random, small world moment happened. I ran into Ross from the hostel two nights ago! We were going out to the same bar! Ummmm can you say fate? Such a happy coincidence, it was so great to see him again! I didn’t get to talk with him too long, but the fact that I happen to run into him in this huge city was crazy! But that was a bad night because my phone got stolen! It’s so incredibly common that it’s not a safety hazard it’s regarded more as just an inconvenience. We just went to a street market and bought new ones, which were all stolen phones as well, Annie and I jokily tried to find our exact ones. It only cost us 120R, which is about $15!! I was really upset at first because I was more in the US mindset that if my phone got stolen it would be such a hassle and a lot of money, and would mean that I was in a dangerous part of town. But here people just assume that if you have a cell phone, you have the money to replace it. They figure they need the money to support their own family more then I need it to enjoy my time here. But still, I hate how easy it is to get stuff stolen, I was holding my purse and he still managed it, it was our cab driver home. They are so stealth about it. I just have to start keeping my money and my phone on my body, instead of in my purse. I know you guys are probably thinking its just one more thing that I didn’t keep track of because all of you know me well and know I lose things, but I want you all to rest easy knowing that I am very responsible. I misplace things at home because its safe and I don’t really have to think about my personal safety. But South Africa is a very dangerous place, something that no one could have explained to me, I just have to experience it. Being put into a situation where anywhere you walk all eyes are on you with people thinking “here is a rich American on vacation, in that purse she has a camera, phone, and money”. All essential things to carry around (I leave my camera home a lot though), so I am constantly aware of how close people are to me, what exactly is in my purse, all of these things that take a huge emotional toll, but really necessary. Basically what I’m trying to explain is that I know that a lot of you guys are worried that I won’t be safe here but I am! You can’t afford not to be. And it’s been such a learning experience, so rewarding. I’ll update again soon, thanks again for following!!

No comments:

Post a Comment